domingo, 30 de agosto de 2015

ASSIGNMENT 2 (Due Sept. 7th) Thoreau and his experiment at Walden Pond

Thoreau and his fellow Transcendentalists regarded Nature as a source of wisdom, purity, and life. Considered by many an extremist, a genius by others, a true representative of the Romantic spirit and, above all, of the so deeply American value of individualism, his account of the 2-year experience in the woods near Walden Pond remains one of the freshest, most true-to-life while consciously artistic 19th-century literary pieces.
Assignment 2 Read the chapter "Where I Lived and What I Lived for" looking for instances in which Thoreau tells readers about his experience, and instances of the message / suggestions / pieces of advice / general thoughts he gives. Then, concentrate on his aesthetic use of language: How does he create beauty thorugh language? Go over the text again, and choose your favorite phrase or sentence, the one in which you find a powerful message expressed in a beautiful language.Then, start writing the assignment, abot Thoreau's impact thorugh this text. In the first body paragraph, you should refer to the didactic / pedagogical implications of the text. In the second paragraph, to the asthetic effect of the text. In your conclusion, you can synthesize Thoreau's contribution as reflected in your favorite phrase. Printed version due on Monday,  SEPTEMBER 7TH

12 comentarios:

  1. I LIKE THIS PHRASE, "EVERY MORNING WAS A CHEERFUL INVITATION TO MAKE MY LIFE OF EQUAL SIMPLICITY".
    (I'M FLORENCIA)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I like this passage: “Little is to be expected of that day, if it can be called a day, to which we are not awakened by our Genius, but by the mechanical nudgings of some servitor, are not awakened by our own newly acquired force and aspirations from within” Maqui Viudez :)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I chose this passage: "The morning wind forever blows, the poem of creation is uninterrupted; but few are the ears that hear it"

    ResponderEliminar
  4. This is the passage I chose: "...for a man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone."

    ResponderEliminar
  5. This is the passage I chose: "Shams and delusions are esteemed for soundest truths, while reality is fabulous."

    ResponderEliminar
  6. I liked this passage: "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary".

    ResponderEliminar
  7. I chose the following passage: Children, who play life, discern its true law and relations more clearly than men, who fail to live it worthily, but who think that they are wiser by experience, that is, by failure.

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  9. The passage I have decided to quote is: "To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts. Every man is tasked to make his life, even in its details, worthy of the contemplation of his most elevated and critical hour."

    ResponderEliminar
  10. My favourite phrase is “...I have frequently seen a poet withdraw, having enjoyed the most valuable part of a farm, while the crusty farmer supposed that he had got a few wild apples only”.

    ResponderEliminar
  11. the passage I like the mowt is the one that says that "we must learn to reawaken and keep awake, not only by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn, which does not forsake us in our soundest sleep" (15th paragraph)

    Florencia Molina

    ResponderEliminar